1. AMBUSH SUSPECT CAUGHT, FACES DEATH PENALTY CHARGES
A survivalist accused of a fatal attack on a Pennsylvania State Trooper is captured by U.S. marshals near an abandoned airplane hangar, ending a seven-week manhunt.
2. AFRICAN RESPONSE TO EBOLA CRISIS QUESTIONED
The African Union chairman belatedly visited virus-hit West African nations last week – a late response indicative of the continent’s marginal contributions to fighting the epidemic.
3. MORE KURDISH FORCES EXPECTED IN SYRIA
Up to 150 peshmerga troops who have traveled from Iraq are expected in the embattled border town of Kobani, as Kurds aim to reverse gains by Islamic State militants.
4. MEDICARE BOUGHT MEDS FOR DECEASED
AP’s Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar finds that Medicare’s prescription program kept paying for costly medications even a month after patients had died.
5. SORRY, NO ROOM ON THE TUBE
Last-minute ads in New Hampshire are in so much demand that campaigns are being told TV slots are overbooked.
6. WHY ASIAN MARKETS ARE SOARING
Japan’s stock index surges 5 percent to the highest level since late 2007 after the Bank of Japan unexpectedly announced new stimulus to boost a flagging economic recovery.
7. HALLOWEEN COULD BE MORE EXPENSIVE NEXT YEAR
The cost of ingredients in chocolate bars is on the rise, and the nation’s biggest candy makers warn of price hikes next year.
8. LOOK WHO’S TURNING 40
The enduring success of the Hello Kitty character is due in part to her successful evolution with her market over four decades.
9. FUGGEDABOUTIT! TAYLOR SWIFT FAILS TO WIN OVER NEW YORKERS
They question her street cred and mock the videos she made for the city’s tourism agency, NYC & Company.
10. A NIGHT NOT BEFIT FOR A KING
The New York Knicks surprise the Cavaliers 95-90, spoiling LeBron James’ emotional return to Cleveland.