WGN – 37-20-15 Pengra Covered Bridge – Built in 1938 in Lane County by Lane County spanning Fall Creek on Place Rd., single span, 120 feet long, Howe trusses
Oregon Bridge #14727. Cost $4,500. The Pengra Bridge replaced an earlier covered bridge built a short distance upstream in 1904. This structure has the longest known timbers for an existing covered bridge. The lower chords are 16″ x 18″ x 120′. They were cut by the Booth-Kelly Lumber Company east of Springfield. Since the 18” timbers were too large to run through the mill, they were rough-hewn in the woods, transported to the site and finished there. In 1979, the bridge was closed to traffic because of its deteriorated condition. It was rehabilitated with a grant from the Oregon Covered Bridge Program in the early 1990’s and reopened. The bridge was near the Pengra station of the Southern Pacific Railroad which was named for B.J. Pengra, a pioneer who became general surveyor of Oregon in 1862. Pengra Unity Road, now known as Place Road, is on the former railroad grade.
PHOTOS BY: BILL BOWSER….FROM CINCINNATI, OHIO