WGN – 37-20-40 Chambers Railroad Covered Bridge – Built in 2011 in Lane County by Lane County spanning Coast Fork Willamette River south of E. Harrison Ave., single span, 78 feet long, Howe trusses
The bridge was built by the Oregon, Pacific and Eastern Railroad in 1925 to transport logs across the Coast Fork Willamette River to a sawmill. The mill served by the bridge burned in 1943 ending its active use. In the 1950’s the bridge was abandoned when the railroad was sold for scrap. The western approach to the bridge was removed to the limits of an easement for South River Road. It was privately owned until December 2006, when the City of Cottage Grove purchased it. Work began in the summer of 2009 and the new bridge was completed in 2011.
PHOTOS BY: BILL BOWSER….FROM CINCINNATI, OHIO