WGN – 37-22-05 Weddle or Devaney Covered Bridge – Built in 1937 in Linn County by volunteers spanning Ames Creek in Sankey Park, single span, 130 feet long, Howe trusses
8-panel truss. At its original location, the bridge was bypassed and closed to traffic in 1980. The bridge quickly deteriorated and was considered a safety hazard. By 1987, Linn County planned to demolish the bridge sparking protests by local covered bridge enthusiasts. With the help of Senator Mae Yih, the state legislature created the Oregon Covered Bridge Program to help fund repair and maintenance projects. The Weddle Bridge was the first recipient of a grant under the new program. It was removed from its original location in October 1987 and rebuilt at Sankey Park in Sweet Home in 1989.
PHOTOS BY: BILL BOWSER….FROM CINCINNATI, OHIO