WGN – 37-24-02 Stayton Jordan Covered Bridge – Built in 1937 in Marion County Curt Ward & Volunteers spanning Salem Power Canal in Pionerr Park, single span, 90 feet long, Howe trusses
Prior to 1986, the Jordan Bridge spanned Thomas Creek in neighboring Linn County several miles east of Scio. The original bridge location had once been the site for a dam, a cheese factory, two mills and a general store. When Linn County announced the aging Jordan Bridge was to be replaced in 1986, Stayton residents asked if they could take title to the structure. A covered bridge preservation company was formed and the bridge was rebuilt over the Salem Power Canal to serve as a foot bridge connecting two parks. The new bridge was dedicated in June 1988. The bridge caught fire December 20, 1994 at 2 a.m. when Christmas lights ignited the roof. The city decided to demolish the trusses and burn what remained of the bridge. The new bridge incorporates glue laminated timbers for added strength and was dedicated in September 1998.
PHOTOS BY: BILL BOWSER….FROM CINCINNATI, OHIO